Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sleep

Kendall has been sleeping horribly.  We have increased her medications again as of last Monday and she hasn't changed at night at all.  If anything, she's even gotten worse.  I finally decided to try melatonin last night.  The palliative care team wanted me to hold off because we all still believe it is more of her being uncomfortable with nerve pain or itching.  I went ahead and did it anyways because we are desperate.  Unfortunately, it seemed to have the opposite effect on Kendall.  It is leaving me stumped because I've never seen anyone react to melatonin like this.  I gave it at 7 pm right before her bedtime.  She went to sleep like normal.  (Going to sleep has never been the problem).  By 9, she was playing in her crib as happy as could be.  I brought her into our bed because I knew she would start screaming and wake up her brother if I didn't.  She didn't go back to sleep until after 10.  She was so excited, happy, playful, funny, and cuddly while she was awake.  I gave her another dose while she was awake, hoping this one would do the trick.  She slept for about 3.5 hours and then was up every hour for the rest of the night.  LOVELY!

I have been picking up a few half shifts at work this week to bank a little extra PTO for her upcoming surgery.  I'm hoping I can survive my full shift tonight and half shift tomorrow night with little sleep from last night.

On another note, her cdiff is back.  I'm not 100% yet but I dropped the stool off at the lab this morning.  I'm still hopeful that it will be negative, although reality is staring me in the face.

I'm waiting on a date for her surgery.  I've requested sometime at the end of April.  My first option would be never but since we have to, April would be nice.  I just want to get her recovered before summer.  Last summer was spent in and out of the hospital.  It would be nice to be able to enjoy a few months with her and Braden together.

Keep your fingers crossed I can survive my work week.  Also pray that Matt survives more sleepless nights.  He is just as exhausted.

Love,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment